Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for March - posted on 1st Apr 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 1661 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 12:22 AM Last edited by Dorsal Axe : 8th Apr 2018 at 10:13 PM.
Testers Wanted: Fixed Maxis Strangetown
I've been working on making a fixed version of Strangetown, but keeping it as much possible like the Maxis version that ships with the game (this means all Sims are intact). Neither the meetme2theriver or mark93 versions suited what I was personally looking for. The former lacks townies and ancestors, and the latter version is not safe to use due to corruption. It also turns out both of them have issues of Maxis-origin that were never fixed. So I figured I'd give it a go; this is my attempt to take the vanilla Maxis Strangetown in its entirety and simply fix everything wrong with it under the hood.

I've done all my editing entirely with external tools; the neighborhood has never been loaded in-game from its original Maxis state. I've run it through HoodChecker, and other than the initial clearing of junk nothing else has come up. So far things have been fine for me, but I need other people to test and make sure things don't blow up. I don't doubt that it's imperfect in some way, that there's something I missed or possibly did wrong in the process. The only task that hasn't been done yet is to restore all the non-Casual outfits for the Sims who had corrupted appearances fixed (Maxis defined them for these Sims, which you can find in their 3IDR - Did you know Lyla Grunt loves pink?). I haven't had much success with that thus far though.

If you wish to help test this out, I would appreciate it very much. I recommend replacing the N002 template (backup the original first) and generating a clean save game folder, as opposed to just dumping it into your existing neighborhoods folder.

You can download the test version here: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/491033/
This particular version does require an EP (any EP) or UC due to an EP1 memory I've added.

Please Note:
I cannot guarantee that this neighborhood is 100% free of corruption. I've fixed as much as I possibly can with the tools available, but there could be further Maxis borkedness hidden somewhere that these tools are unable to detect. Please use caution when testing this neighborhood. Either way, this one should be a hell of a lot safer and healthier than the hood Maxis shipped with the game.

The Sims with fixed appearances will appear normally without any action from your part. You do not need to take them to a mirror to update their looks as they will already visibly have them.

Also I recommend to avoid resurrecting Knut Futa; I've done what I can for him given the state Maxis left him in, but he's still not quite right for whatever reason. I suspect he's just too broken to fix completely.

Complete Changelog:
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 4:07 PM
Oh my God, I'm so exited with this! I would love to test it. I'll test everything in the neighborhood and report any issues here.

Good job!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 8:56 AM
Strangetown was the very first neighborhood I ever played, but I was always going into SimPE to correct the very things you have fixed. Thank you so very much for this game modification!
Test Subject
#5 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 7:51 PM
I downloaded your Strangetown and had a peek in the memories and relationships of the playables.
Jenny and Jill Smith and Tank and Ripp Grunt have all the "Met Mystery Sim" memory. Is this correct? It doesn't made sense for Jill, Tank and Ripp to have such a memory and in my opinion Jenny ought to have a "Met PT #9" memory. Oh and Erin Beaker knows Circe Beaker, but Circe doesn't know Erin.

Apart from these easy to fix things I'm looking forward to play your Strangetown. Thank you for your hard work.